[Phpwm] Broadband recomendations

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Jul 28 11:27:06 UTC 2011

Tim Cumming wrote:
> Although this information is interesting:
> Download speed achieved during the test was - 1769 Kbps
> For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
> Additional Information:
> Your DSL Connection Rate :7520 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
> IP Profile for your line is - 2000 Kbps

THAT is the useful piece of information. My Sky line does not have that, the
connection rate is '2272kbps/228kbps' while the BT line is exactly as you list.
So it would seem that you ARE being limited further up the chain. Although I did
have openreach do some work on the BT line which resulted in an improvement in
top rate. Apparently the connection at the exchange end was 'a little corroded' ...

I think my main gripe here is that '8Mb service' has little meaning if the best
that can be provided is no more than the 'cheaper' 2Mb service? I have a
workshop further out from here, and getting 0.5Mb is a struggle but it's still
sold as 'up to 8Mb broadband'. Perhaps it is about time that we were charged
against provision rather than 'market speak' ... I wonder how many peoples bills
would then go down? Get billed a percentage on the basis of what was achieved
the previous month :)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL