[Rustington] Asus laptop power problems

JACK COGMAN jack.cogman at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 6 18:49:48 UTC 2012

All,

We have an Asus slim-line laptop which until recently has been running well with Ubuntu 12.04. Now I cannot even power it on.
If I switch the power on key, an led embedded in the key illuminates, indicating that there is power, but then nothing happens. I can switch it off by holding the power key down for 10 secs., but that is all I can get it to do. The frustrating thing is that a few days ago while it was charging, I was able to successfully switch it on.

When a similar problem occurred at one of our meetings, it was corrected by re-seating the batteries. However, this is not possible with the Asus laptop, as it appears to be a sealed unit, so you cannot access the batteries.

Any ideas what the problem may be?

Jack