[Rustington] Asus laptop power problems

JACK COGMAN jack.cogman at btinternet.com
Sat Dec 8 18:14:15 UTC 2012

Paul and others,

I am pleased to report that our ASUS laptop is now working again. What I am not so pleased to report is that I have no idea of what the caused the problem or how it was corrected. I was about to plug in an external monitor, as suggested by Paul, but thought I would have yet another try at starting, when - lo and behold - the linux start-up window appeared. I had done nothing special to it, other than leave it alone for 24 hours.

One possible explanation is that a spurious charge had built up. When I did a google search for this problem (and found incidently that it is quite common), one of the proposed solutions was to remove the battery and hold the power button down for 15 secs. This apparently is to discharge any spurious charges.
Does anyone have any better ideas?

Jack