[Rustington] Be Aware ! - BT Infinity Broadband

Paul Willis phwillis at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 21:43:28 UTC 2012

Sorry its 328 FEET not metres (=100m):
100BASE-TX and 1000BASE-T were both designed to require a minimum of
Category 5 cable and also specify a maximum cable length of 100
meters. Category 5 cable has since been deprecated and new
installations use Category 5e.
from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_over_twisted_pair#Cabling

and
Maximum cable segment length
According to the ANSI/TIA/EIA standard for category 5e copper cable
(TIA/EIA 568-5-A[5]), the maximum length for a cable segment is 100
meters (328 feet). If longer runs are required, the use of active
hardware such as a repeater, or a switch, is necessary.[6][7] The
specifications for 10BASE-T networking specify a 100 metre length
between active devices.[8] This allows for 90 metres of fixed cabling,
two connectors and two patch leads of 5 metres, one at each end.
from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat5e#Maximum_cable_segment_length

I have it in boxes of 305 metres = 1000 feet (from days when it was
about 10p/metre)