[Rustington] Help - Save Our Group!

Derek Waite dcwaite at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Sep 5 19:18:58 UTC 2012

Following on from Franks' earlier posting, this is an appeal to all
members of our group to try to attend next Wednesday's meeting as we
need to have an urgent discussion about the future of our Rustington LUG.

Just to clarify something that Frank mentioned, I did not have a
discussion with Bryan Stephens, (the Arun U3A Treasurer), but was
informed, along with the other members present at Tuesday's committee
meeting, that 2 groups were causing concern regarding the cost of hall
hire against the income from attending members - our group being the one
giving most concern!
Bryan pointed out that although some flexibility exists with
costs/income, our group has for some time been unable to cover those
costs, and that the time to take action was near.

We could either try to increase our income or reduce our expenditure -
pretty basic economics I guess!

I doubt that many people would be prepared to pay more than the £2 we
currently pay per session, so I would say that's a non-starter!
Perhaps we could look for cheaper accommodation?.......should we meet
less frequently?.....or have a think about how to attract & retain new
members.....why do we frequently not see new members more than once or
twice?.......should we consider becoming a more traditional computer
club, if we can't interest enough people in Linux?...

There are a number of things we need to think about. I, for one, would
be extremely sorry to see all the hard work that Frank (and others) have
put into our little group over the past (nearly) 2 years, evaporate
without us at least trying to prevent it.

I hope to see as many of you as possible next week.............Best
Wishes,......Derek