[Rustington] Meeting - Wednesday 27th May

Lisi Reisz lisi.reisz at gmail.com
Tue May 26 21:00:13 UTC 2015

On Monday 25 May 2015 21:32:23 JACK COGMAN wrote:
> Fellow LUGGERS,
> This is a reminder that we need to make some important decisions at this
> week's Linux meeting on 27th May. Frank is standing down as group leader
> and we have agreed that we want the Linux Group to continue. The problem is
> that we are not sure how. In particular, we need to decide; - What is the
> scope of the group? Is it only Linux or does it include Raspberry Pi,
> Android, in fact anything but Windows?

If I could stick a finger in the pie:
The group is one of the member groups of <http://lug.org.uk/>  Here is a
description of what that covers, and what LUGs can therefore be expected to
cover:

Welcome to UK Linux User Groups
The UK Linux User Groups organisation, also known as lug.org.uk, is dedicated
to providing technical services for Free Software and Open Source Software
user groups in the UK. We offer free web hosting with PHP and MySQL services,
mailing lists, and run an IRC server.

Definitely *not* only Linux.

Here is what other local groups say on their websites (Sussex seems not to
have a website at the moment)

http://surrey.lug.org.uk/
Surrey LUG is a friendly Linux user group. If you have any interest in Linux,
GNU (or related systems such as *BSD, Solaris, OpenSolaris, etc)

http://hantslug.org.uk/
We aim to encourage and support the use of Linux and other free operating
systems

http://www.portsmouth.lug.org.uk/
Supporting and Growing users of Linux & Open Source Software

and our meetings and even talks have certainly included the Raspberry Pi.
(Running Linux, of course ;-)  )  (Not to mention Arduino, Banana Pi,
CHIP - "the world's first $9 computer" for those who haven't yet come across
it.

The problem with Android is that although it is based on the Linux Kernel it
is not fully Open Source.

I had agreed with Frank that I would come along to a meeting, but this does
not seem an appropriate one.

Lisi