[SLUG] Error Message!

Alistair Girling al21 at firenet.uk.com
Tue Dec 3 11:11:01 GMT 2002

From: "Jamie" <jamie at scarborough.lug.org.uk>

> On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 12:45, Mark Feather wrote:
> > Alistair has failed to mention that there is an error message in his
error log  that says that he has a script failure i  cannot remember the
exact words but i think it said "Connection Script Failed"  correct me if
I'm wrong Alistair.

Mark's right when he says I missed this error message.  See below.

This is from /var/log/daemons/errors

 Dec  1 20:54:42 localhost pppd[2839]: Connect script failed
 Dec  1 21:46:45 localhost pppd[3017]: Connect script failed

Curiously there is no sign of an error at Dec  2 17:09 when the other errors
from /var/log/messages were logged.

> What did you use to set up your ppp connection? I have sometimes
> succeeded with kppp when gnome-ppp failed. Another option is WVDial

I just followed the recommended intstall.  So it's all straight out of the
box!

I think I'll try wvdial.  But I suspect I'll simply be starting another
fruitless task.

> Is your system dialing with CHAP or PAP? Chap uses a 'chat script' to
negotiate the logon process, so maybe this is the script > that is failing?
Thankfully most ISP's use PAP, so try that.

Haven't a clue, nor do I know how to find out!  gnome-ppp is set to PAP by
default it seems.

> Actually, before you do any of that, you could try this:
>
> http://www.linux.net.nz/pppconfig/

I'll have a look.