[SLUG] OT runlevels

Gavin Baker gavbaker at ntlworld.com
Sun Nov 3 01:23:00 GMT 2002

On Sat, 2002-11-02 at 19:34, Will wrote:

> >All linux distributions (and the sysv-based unix) use it. (The BSD's do
> >things differently).
> *If* they use System V init[2]. But again the BSD is a standard way of doing
> things. Except AIX.

AIX's sysv init seems pretty neat, it uses sysv runlevels but has all
configuration etc in one file.

Incase anyone else is interested (cough), there is a package called
"file-rc" that converts debian into this style. (I'm sure its available
in other distro's).

(za at martian:za)$ apt-cache show file-rc
Package: file-rc
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 66
Maintainer: Roland Rosenfeld <roland at debian.org>
Architecture: all
Version: 0.6.3
Depends: sysvinit (>= 2.80-1)
Conflicts: ash (<< 0.3.5-1)
Filename: pool/main/f/file-rc/file-rc_0.6.3_all.deb
Size: 22466
MD5sum: 3161893aa8057bf7d0602e3310c51b75
file
 This package provides an alternative mechanism to boot the system, to
 shut it down and to change runlevels.  The /etc/rc?.d/* links will be
 converted into one single configuration file /etc/runlevel.conf
 instead, which is easier to administrate than symlinks, and is also
 more flexible.
 .
 The package will automatically convert your existing symlinks into
 the file method on installation, and convert the file back into
 symlinks on removal. Both mechanisms are compatible through
 /etc/init.d/rc, /etc/init.d/rcS, /usr/sbin/update-rc.d, and
 /usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d scripts.

I quite like this idea. You just have one file to edit rather than
manipulating symlinks, and it means we have fewer directories in /etc.
Simpler, quicker and less complicated.

Anyone see a catch?

Regards,
Gav