[SLUG] OT runlevels

aardvark llama anisotropy9 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 2 19:35:00 GMT 2002

>Gavin Baker wrote:
> >best practice.
> > > I wrote:
> > > Sure. But then again I would like to see you typing fast on a > >
>Dvorak keyboard...
>I didn't say "common practice is never the best practice".
Hmmm. I don't think I did. I think my smart arsed remark -- for which I
apologise for, if it would help -- was not so much a value judgement but
more about familiarity.

Just to beat my analogy to death. People *can* type exceptionally well on
all sorts of weird keyboards. I am a full 10 fingered touch typist on a
standard uk layout keyboard and so it really pains *and* slows me when I
move onto the american/mac/whatever layout[1].

>sysv init / runlevels do provide a standard way of doing things :)
:)
>All linux distributions (and the sysv-based unix) use it. (The BSD's do
>things differently).
*If* they use System V init[2]. But again the BSD is a standard way of doing
things. Except AIX.

>... I don't think a standard for [runlevels] would be very useful.
I could not agree more.

>I think runlevels are a great feature when you tailor them to fit your
>machine and it's purpose in life.
Yup.

>And the good thing about standards is that there are so many to choose
>from. :)
:)

> > ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :)
>=)
I *should have* let it lie. But I couldn't.

`a presto',

Will

[1] On a (semi)serious note, on comp.lang.lisp recently people were posting
about they had ripped off the {}[]&%$£ keys and replaced them all with ()'s
:).

[2] I was digging around on some old cd's and if you like I could send you
the source for the old slackware BSD stylee init. Alternatively I could
bring round some 6" nails and we could hammer them into walls with our
heads. I think we agree about what is more fun ;)