[SLUG] FTP

aardvark llama anisotropy9 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 28 09:35:01 GMT 2002

>Al Girling wrote:
>So I need to find an ftp client which isn't built on KERBEROS_V4.  Can you
>make any suggestions?
Sure. There appears to be an ftp client called ftp-0.10 for Mandrake 6.1.
Since I don't use this distro I don't know whether it is any use or not.
However, there is no kerberos in sight.

>But that was how I always imagined ftp under Linux would be.  It's how I
>use
>ssh also.
Glad to hear it!

> > Having tried a quick google I found stuff about kerberos like
> > www.pdc.kth.se/kth-krb/doc/kth-krb_2.html#SEC2 on here
> > www.pdc.kth.se/kth-krb.
>I must give these a look.
This was more for reference and to confirm my suspicion that kerberos *is* a
bit scary. (Nay sayers need not apply ;).

>I just didn't know if I should be worried about what was happening.
Sure. With stuff like ftp it is fairly straightforward to test. If you have
a binary file, create checksums and you transfer the binaryfile -- using ftp
binary mode -- you are fairly safe if the checksum is the same at both ends.

>My Newbieness showing I guess :)
I would say not. With familiarity comes contemp for such pifling warnings. I
also know that an ftp client is unlikely to kill the system.

(However, take warnings with things like a new bootloader *much* more
seriously. Speaking from painful experience, on upgrading and misconfiguring
lilo it is worth taking note of the warnings or else you get to spend the
next week trying to resurect you system.)

>Thanks again for your help Will, much appreciated.
`Non si dice.'

;)w