[SLUG] Debian Specific Questions

Adams, Jamie JAMIE.ADAMS at HOMEGROUP.ORG.UK
Mon Oct 28 14:49:00 GMT 2002

Well, I have finally managed to succesfully install Debian 3.0. The
installation was far from straight forward, though I think I can put this
down to my unfamiliarity with the package handling system. The graphics card
was a nightmare to set up, I have'nt even attempted the sound card yet.

I have a couple of questions which I was unable to find an answer to after a
quick search through google. I thought I would ask here before having a
detailed look.

1.	So far the Apt system seems very good, though I am not very familiar
with it yet. I get a bit confused between the apt-get and dpkg commands.
Anyway, I digress.. Is there a way to manage source installations
(.tar.gz's) with the apt system? I dont think you could with RPM, but having
the reportedly excellent apt system has made me a bit paranoid about having
these src files lying around mucking up dependancies. Can they be installed
with apt or dpkg? or maybe even turned into debs somehow?

2.	Debian, for some reason or another does not colour the file names
and directories in the console, all the previous distributions I have tried
do this automatically. I find it quite hard to live without :) I seem to
remember this being mentioned in a previous posting but I cant find it.

3.	(Gavin specific) When you logged in to your system you had a nice
big red ascii debian logo. Where can I get this from?

4.	Does anyone know where I can get the Microsoft core web fonts from
now? I tried installing the msttcorefonts deb package, it tries to fetch
them from the microsoft server, but they are no longer there.

Fingers crossed this should be my last install for quite a while!

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) ("Intended Recipient") to whom it is addressed. It may contain information, which is privileged and confidential. Accordingly any dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this message or any of its content by any person other than the Intended Recipient may constitute a breach of civil or criminal law and is strictly prohibited. If you are not the Intended Recipient, please contact the sender as soon as possible.

http://www.star.net.uk