[SLUG] Grub -> Lilo

Jamie jamie at scarborough.lug.org.uk
Tue Sep 3 23:16:00 BST 2002

On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 01:22:26PM +0100, Gavin Baker wrote:
> Grubs config lives in /boot/grub (or maybe just /boot), which is kinda
> against the FHS (It wants root to confine his work to *just* /etc/).
> Edit menu.lst, add "vga=791" to the kernel line. Mine are something
> like:
>
> title linux-foo
> kernel (hd0,4)/boot/kernel-foo root=/dev/md0 hdb=ide-scsi hdc=ide-scsi
> mem=nopentium vga=791
>
> After editing and changing menu.lst, you can just reboot. You dont need
> to update the MBR everytime you change something like you do with that
> silly lilo thing ;)

Okay, I have it fixed now, For information, the problem lied with the syntax of my config file. My has entries like this:

title Red Hat Linux 7.2 (2.4.7-10)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.7-10 ro /dev/hda1
	initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.7-10.img

The reason it was not working for me was that I was putting "vga=788", which is 800x600x16bit as the last line of the section. I should have been putting it at the end of the kernel line, ie:

	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.7-10 ro /dev/hda1 vga=788

Which makes sense really, since I am trying to pass a command to the kernel. :)

Cheers Gavin.

--
Jamie Adams

SCARBOROUGH LINUX USER GROUP