[SLUG] Grub -> Lilo

Gavin Baker gavbaker at ntlworld.com
Mon Sep 2 13:23:06 BST 2002

On Mon, 2002-09-02 at 11:54, Adams, Jamie wrote:
> I currently have RedHat 7.2 booting with Grub (the default option).
>
> I have been playing about for the last few days trying to get a framebuffer
> high resolution console. It used to be fairly easy under Mandrake (I always
> seem to be saying that), I just used an option such as "vga=771" in the lilo
> config file.

Grubs config lives in /boot/grub (or maybe just /boot), which is kinda
against the FHS (It wants root to confine his work to *just* /etc/).
Edit menu.lst, add "vga=791" to the kernel line. Mine are something
like:

title linux-foo
kernel (hd0,4)/boot/kernel-foo root=/dev/md0 hdb=ide-scsi hdc=ide-scsi
mem=nopentium vga=791

After editing and changing menu.lst, you can just reboot. You dont need
to update the MBR everytime you change something like you do with that
silly lilo thing ;)

> I have tried to recompile my kernel to make sure it has Framebuffer support
> enabled. I couldn't get the recompiled kernel to boot, but thats a different
> story all together. The default redhat kernel .config file has FB enabled,
> so in the end, I dont think I needed to recompile.

Seems so. Kinda OT, but to check what commandline your current kernel
was booted with, cat /proc/cmdline.

> Anyway, the crux of it is that I cant get grub to boot into framebuffer,
> and im hoping that the switch to lilo will solve the problem

Dont do it !!  Grub is great, lilo is evil, m'kay? :)

Seriously, grub is much "better" than lilo (google will explain better
than i can in a quick mail).

> Has anyone got any experiance of doing this? Any tips or advice? I really
> dont want to mess up my system, and i realise that f'ing around with the
> bootloader would be an easy way to knacker it all up.

Tip: Use grub, keep a bootfloppy/cd, play with grub on a floppy before
you change lilo->grub, checkout IBM's developerworks website, they have
a good grub-tutorial (sorry, i dont have a url, but its there somewhere)

Good luck

Regards,
Gav

(Off to Spain in 18hrs)