[SLUG] A suggestion!

Al Girling al21 at firenet.uk.com
Wed Sep 11 12:00:00 BST 2002

Hi all,

After last night, helping Mark to return his machine.  I was trying to think
how the experience could be looked at in a positive light.  It struck me that
we should probably discuss various methods and mediums for backing up data
and conifurations of applications!  (I'm not having a dig at Mark.  But I
think everybody said they'd done something similar in the past, so it clearly
applies to everyone!)

Now my main suggestion is.  Would the group benefit from aquiring an old
machine, say a 486 to use for demonstrations/experiments etc.  Where it
dosen't matter if it all ends up pants, so no-one ends up taking home a
machiine with less than they started with at the beginning of the evening.
Could it be possible to demonstrate on such a machine, how to set up
printers, zipdrives, scanners etc?  I personaly would prefer to see something
demonstrated on another machine before I experiment with my own and it's
unfair to expect someone to risk their own machine for my gain!

The biggest problem I see with this, is who then owns such a machine.  If it
becomes the groups property, we immediatly enter the realms of finances and
commitees. :(  Could someone be persuaded to take responsiblity for such a
machine to avoid that senario?  It needn't be their responsibility to ensure
it arrives at every meeting.  But provided it's available, I'm sure someone
from within the group could collect it and ensure it arrives at meetings.

Provided this sticking point can be overcome, I think the benefits of such a
machine are manyfold.

O.K.  I've stuck my head above the parapit.  You may now start throwing
rocks!  ;)

Regards