[SLUG] Any mutt users?

Jamie jamie at scarborough.lug.org.uk
Thu Sep 19 00:30:00 BST 2002

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 01:20:57PM +0100, Al Girling wrote:
> I'd like to have a look at using mutt as my e-mail client.  I have it
> installed ok and can run it.  I've managed to get my first message by using
>
> echo this is some text | mail $USER
>
> at the command line.
>
> How do I go about telling mutt about POP3 and SMTP server and my
> account  details?
>
> Regards
>
> Al

I have been using Mutt for a few months. Usually mutt requires a little bit of configuring before it will be suitable for what you need it to do. Though I think it is the unspoken word that Mutt is the most configurable client there is.

One thing it will not do however, as far as I know, is send email straight to your SMTP server. It is a Mail User Agent, not a Mail Transfer Agent (MTA). Mutt simply handles reading and to some extent, storing your emails.

I have not tried this out, but information on google groups suggests that by including the following information in your .muttrc file, you can get mail from your POP server.

  set pop_delete                # delete messages from server after download
  set pop_host=pop.domain.name  # POP3 host
  set pop_pass="mypasswd"       # POP3 account password
  set pop_port=110              # POP3 access port (pop2=109, pop3=110)
  set pop_user=username         # POP3 account name

There is an good tutorial on setting up your machine to handle your email 'properly' at: http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/connect/index.html#mtuw, it explains the principles better than I could.

HTH

--
Jamie Adams