[SLUG] X server slow

Gavin Baker gavbaker at ntlworld.com
Thu Sep 26 23:56:00 BST 2002

On Thu, 2002-09-26 at 20:29, Phil wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> A little problem I hope you can answer for me. I have redhat 7.3 running
> fluxbox as window manager and i recently changed the host and domain name
> by editing /etc/sysconfig/network, /etc/resolve.conf and /etc/hosts files.
> This seemed to be ok but when I startx it is very slow to start and
> shutdown. I cann't see any errors in the logs. Why should changing the
> host name effect the Xserver?

It sounds like X is having trouble finding its hostname or IP address.
It's a network aware app and so needs this information of course.

Can you try running "hostname", and then "ping" the name it gives you?

If that works, then I can't see any reason X would have trouble, but if
you want to post your config files, we might spot something you've
missed.

Also check your /etc/nsswitch.conf and make sure you have a line like
"hosts: files dns" in there somewhere.

Good luck,
Regards,
Gav