[SLUG] X server slow

aardvark llama anisotropy9 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 27 07:20:01 BST 2002

>Gavin wrote:
>It sounds like X is having trouble finding its hostname or IP address.
>It's a network aware app and so needs this information of course.
Yup. You could also be suffering from dns configuration issues. Does the
machine have an internet connection? And if so, does the speed issue vary
dependant on whether you are online or not.

>If that works, then I can't see any reason X would have trouble, but if
>you want to post your config files, we might spot something you've
>missed.
I can. If it is using dns over hosts file, and dns isn't configured right,
you can have all sorts of problems.

>Also check your /etc/nsswitch.conf and make sure you have a line like
>"hosts: files dns" in there somewhere.
Note: it *must* be in this order. Something like hosts: dns files could
really knacker stuff.

:)w