[SLUG] Suse 8 network problem

Chris More chris at staxton.com
Fri Sep 27 14:29:01 BST 2002

Gavin !

Thank you for your most excellent detailed response to my problem,  which I
worked through step by step.  I could still not get the darned thing to work.

Unfortunately my knowledge of networks is fairly simplistic  and it turned
out the problem was I hadn't given the win98 machine a IP address in the same
range as the suse machine.  It was auto allocating itself an address and as
soon as I gave it a static address in the 169.128.1.x range everything
started working.   I got samba working and so things are just dandy.

My only problem now is.... its taken me so long, I can't remember why I
wanted to network them in the first place!

Oh well.... you Linux and learn.

Many thanks.

Chris

--