[SLUG] irc setup

Adams, Jamie Jamie.Adams at homegroup.org.uk
Tue Apr 22 10:08:01 BST 2003

Hi Phil.

Licq is an ICQ client, which is for instant messaging. IRC is a
different type of chat protocol. There are many clients out there and
you probably have a client already installed, try opeing a terminal and
type 'xchat' or 'bitchx'. If they are not installed, head over to
rpmfind.net and download them from there.

Once y have one of them installed, just put in the server details as
irc.lug.org.uk and connect. To joing a channel you type '/join
#[roomname]' (all chatrooms start with a #). Our room is
#scarboroughlug.

All clients work a little bit differently, but the commands are always
the same. Once you ahve downloaded your client, let me know again if you
get stuck.

Jamie