[SLUG] SCO vs IBM

Jamie Adams adamsj at sdf-eu.org
Mon Aug 11 20:51:00 BST 2003

Well, the case is still rumbling on. I have purposely not mentioned the case on
the list simply because it is so complicated and I dont really know the in's and
out's of it myself.

The interesting bit of news that I saw today is IBM's official response to
SCO's claims. You can see it here:

http://lwn.net/Articles/43592/

IBM has specifically used the GPL as leverage against SCO's claims in its
counterclaim. Therefore it looks like the judge will have to (for the
first time) decide wether the GPL can stand up in court.

Who knows what will happen if SCO wins.. they are already attempting to charge
companies a license fee for using Linux. They obviously intend to enforce their
(rather dodgy) intellectual property rights to the max.

Stay tuned..

Jamie

        adamsj at sdf-eu.org
  SDF-EU Public Access UNIX System