[SLUG] Scarborough Apple Users Group 8-)

Carl.Dixon Carl.Dixon at newcastle.ac.uk
Fri Aug 22 08:43:00 BST 2003

Hi everyone,

This is "Guy with really flashy laptop" as Gav put it, but you can call me
Carl.

First of all I would like to say cheers to everyone who went to the LUG
meeting last Tuesday for welcoming me into the group, despite me corrupting
several other members with the Apple stuff. Now Jamie's buying an iBook the
Mac users will soon be in the majority. SLUG will soon be SAUG!

I've had a look at the web site since the meeting and really don't see what
the fuss was about. It does everything that it needs to and don't look too bad
either. The code is quite tidy so it wouldn't be hard to add any articles if
they ever happen.

Someone asked me about Linux on the 68k processor. You can get Debian, MkLinux
OpenBSD and NetBSD (if that counts). I thought that there were more but can't
find any others. Of all the ISOs you can download, I can't see any that don't
require an MMU so getting it onto my Powerbook 540C could be tricky. Debian
needs 16mb RAM too (I only have 12) and on the 160MB hard drive there would
only be room for a minimal console-based system (not even enough room for
Emacs OS!).

Chris mentioned maybe having the next LUG meeting before I got back to Uni on
the 14th September. If that is okay with everyone I would appreciate it. I
would like to see everyone again before I go as I told lots of people I'd get
them distros/software/music/find out how to turn their pooters off, and it
will be the last one I can attend until Xmas.

Anyway, see you all soon,
Carl.