[SLUG] Next Meeting

Gavin Baker gav at supercowpowers.org
Fri Aug 22 16:48:01 BST 2003

On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 15:58, Adams, Jamie wrote:
> I don't know what the hell your talking about, but sounds good to me!

(honeypot) Usually a box that *pretends* to be running services with
known security flaws. The idea is to attract crackers to try and hack
the (fake) servers so we can monitor what they do and protect our real
boxen against the attacking host and the same kind of attack, and if
they are trying to crack non existent services, our real ones are safe.

There are a lot of honeypot apps out there. Some are as simple as a perl
script, or a shell script that uses nc to listen on a port (say www),
reply as a real www server would but log everything that happens. Some
are indistinguishable from the real thing (like iisemul8[1]).

Some, like honeyd[2] also fake the TCP/IP stack, to pretend to be
whatever OS you want.

There is a good series of articles about honeypots on securityfocus.com
somewhere.

Fun stuff really.

Gav

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/iisemul8/