[SLUG] Next Meeting

Stuart Thomas stuartthomas at clara.co.uk
Fri Aug 22 18:21:29 BST 2003

Excellent,

Also to add to Jamie's excellent notes:

One of the  important elements of the honey"pot"/"net" is the fact you
learn from it, enhance your knowledge and experiences [to share with
others]. I had the pleasure (subs:pain) and payment for implementing
several of them whilst working for some blue-chips in the City [London
that is], and as an ethical hacker for Oracle.

Another advantage about the honeypot is that you get to know about NEW
security flaws as well as existing ones. Of course you don't really
want to "attract" hackers to your main public facing network, a
separate segment of IP address's (registered if possible under a pseudo
company name, or small subsidiary of your existing company, anyway I
digress) and a physically separate network (i.e. incase of DDOS/DOS and
similar dysfunctional attacks) does the trick.

Lanze Spitzner has a two good books out at the moment (just do search
on amazon), if you are interested. BUT, I think you may find a lot of
that work at http://project.honeynet.org (SF publishes a lot of work
for the honeynet project) [white-papers et al] you may also like
http://rr.sans.org (a reading room full of security papers).

A fascinating and time consuming hobby/project though!

Ta,
Stu