[SLUG] Harddisc's & partitioning.

Al Girling al21 at firenet.uk.com
Tue Feb 4 17:49:01 GMT 2003

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 11:07:44 -0000
"Adams, Jamie" <Jamie.Adams at homegroup.org.uk> wrote:
> I used a utility from GNU called Parted, which can detect, create,
> resize, copy and check fat partitions. You can download parted from:
>
> http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/parted/

And how many sets of lib dependancys does it have? ;)

Got it installed O.K. and had a little bit of a look.

[root at localhost al]# parted /dev/hdb1 print
Disk geometry for /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part1: 0.000-1545.438 megabytes
Disk label type: loop
Minor    Start       End     Filesystem  Flags
1          0.000   1545.438  fat32

[root at localhost al]# parted /dev/hdb print
Disk geometry for /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/disc: 0.000-1545.468 megabytes
Disk label type: msdos
Minor    Start       End     Type      Filesystem  Flags
1          0.031   1545.468  primary   fat32       boot

[root at localhost al]# parted /dev/hdb check 1
Warning: Partition 1 is 1545.438Mb, but the file system is 503.477Mb

I'm thinking that a command like;

# parted /dev/hdb mkfs 1 ext2

might do the trick. Anyone care to comment before I hose my system?  I'm thinking it might be best to talk it over with you tommorrow night during the IRC meet, if you plan on joining me Jamie?

> Then you need to use a command like "mk2fs /dev/hdb" and this will
> create an ext2 filesystem on the disk. Check the manpage on mk2fs for
> more details.

mk2fs doesn't appear to exist on my system, is this a Debian specific command?

Thanks for the help.