[SLUG] Installing Debian

Jamie Adams jamie.adams at myrealbox.com
Mon Feb 24 21:45:02 GMT 2003

On 2003.02.24 17:56 Al Girling wrote:
> All I want is the name of the file to copy to make the bootable floppy
> as I did with Mandrake.  With the Mandrake install it was cdrom.img
> and used;
>
> dd if=/mnt/cdrom/images/cdrom.img of=/dev/fd0
>
> to create the bootable floppy, but I can find nothing like this on the
> Debian discs.
>
> Can anybody point me in the right direction please?
>
> Al

Hi Al, I have never done this before, im just going from what it says
on the website.

It says that you have to use TWO boot floppies, the images of which are
on the first cdrom under the 'install' directory. The image names are
'root.bin' and 'rescue.bin'. You write them to the disk the same way
you did with Mandrake.

According to the instructions, you first boot from the rescue disk,
then it should ask for the root disk. Then, fingers crossed, you should
be able to point it to the cdrom for the rest of the install.

The documentation seemed to make this information incredibly hard to
find :)

For you info, I found these instructions at:

http://www.debian.org/releases/woody/i386/ch-rescue-boot.en.html#s-boot-from-floppies
and
http://www.debian.org/releases/woody/i386/ch-install-methods.en.html#s-create-floppy

> So is this why Debian is regarded as a pain in the arse to install? ;)

Exactly :)