[SLUG] Installing Debian

Al Girling al21 at firenet.uk.com
Tue Feb 25 22:02:02 GMT 2003

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 20:16:02 +0000
Jamie Adams wrote:

> As an after thought, it couldnt simply be a dodgy floppy disk could it?

I wondered this myself, so while I was out this afternoon I bought a new pack of floppys.

This evening I've tried again.  Below is the command and the immediate output.

# dd if=/mnt/cdrom/install/root.bin of=/dev/fd0
2880+0 records in
2880+0 records out

The bizarre output I posted before was from trying to list the contents of the floppy with ls -l.  After trying again, all I get is;

 ls: /mnt/floppy/: Input/output error

I've tried this formatting the floppy with ext2 and vfat.  I've made the command with the floppy unmounted and with Mandrakes supermount.

I've tried 3 new floppys all with the same response and the original also now give an I/O error.  The rescue.bin floppy still lists a selection of files.  But I'm stumped and my head hurts, so I'm going to stop before I start hitting things. ;)

The only other thing I can think of is to make the root.bin floppy on alison's Win machine using rawrite etc.  But I must say it's pretty crap if you can't make the appropriate discs for Linux with Linux!

Al

P.S.  I've just had one last go and I'm back to the wacky out put again, so thats it.  Now where's that hammer? ;)