[SLUG] Installing Debian

Jamie Adams jamie.adams at myrealbox.com
Wed Feb 26 00:58:01 GMT 2003

On 2003.02.25 21:54 Al Girling wrote:

> This evening I've tried again.  Below is the command and the immediate
> output.
>
> # dd if=/mnt/cdrom/install/root.bin of=/dev/fd0
> 2880+0 records in
> 2880+0 records out
>
> The bizarre output I posted before was from trying to list the
> contents of the floppy with ls -l.  After trying again, all I get is;
>
>  ls: /mnt/floppy/: Input/output error
>
> I've tried this formatting the floppy with ext2 and vfat.  I've made
> the command with the floppy unmounted and with Mandrakes supermount.

Okay. I now have two working disks. This is how I did it.

First, I used the rescue.bin from the first cd and made the disk as you
did with 'dd if=rescue.bin of=/dev/fd0'. I am unable to mount this disk
from within linux, but it boots.

Second, I downloaded root.img from
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44
just in case the root.bin on the cd was broken (it may not be).

I laid this image onto the disk the same way as I did the first. Again,
I was unable to mount this disk from within Linux. It kept saying that
it could not determine the filesystem type or something similar. I
didnt worry too much about not being able to mount them and just
rebooted.

They work! The rescue disk get so far through the boot then asks for
the root disk, after that it took me through to the installer.

This worked for me. If it doesnt work for you I can always post the
disks that I have just created.

Not sure why you are getting the I/O errors, or all the wierd output.
Maybe mandrake is guessing at the filesystem type and getting it wrong?
Anyways, just try booting the disks without trying to mount them first
and fingers crossed it may work.

Ill keep my fingers crossed!

Jamie