[SLUG] A new year begins..

Adams, Jamie Jamie.Adams at homegroup.org.uk
Tue Jan 7 15:55:01 GMT 2003

Well, the new year is upon us. I would like to think of the new year as
a good opportunity to get things moving with the group once again.

As far as most Lugs go, we have done really well. A lot of groups don't
really get off the ground, but with the help of all of you we have
managed to create a good basis for things to come. In all honesty, I am
very pleased with the way the group is running at the moment. When I
first started, I was very doubtful that there would be any interest at
all.  Even though we don't have that many people posting to the list, I
would like to think people find it useful, and even sometimes fun.

I don't really place that much importance in the number of subscribers
we have. As long as we have a few people that want to see it succeed, I
think we will be okay. However I would like to see the numbers increase.
I see part of our job as to educate people about Linux. I don't mean
that we have to preach to every poor soul we know about why Linux the
best and why they just HAVE to use it. It might mean just explaining to
people that they have the choice. I still get people that say "what the
f*ck is that?" when I turn my computer on and Linux boots up. So tell
your friends, let them know what Linux can and cant do for them.

Without your dedication, we would be no more, so it is down to all of
you that we have managed to get this far. However, I still think that
there is a lot that can be done.

I would like to have a proper venue. We have the room at the pub, which
is great. But it would be good if we had somewhere with more facilities,
such as an overhead projector and internet connection.

I would also like to see some properly organised meetings. With a
subject for the evening etc. I am quite happy with going to the pub and
having a drink, in fact I probably enjoy that more than anything else.
We could maybe have one month at the pub for a drink, and one specially
organised meeting the month after and so on. It will be hard to organise
this without the proper equipment, so I suppose this would tie in with a
new venue.

I would like to see the website expanded. Its pretty good as it is, but
it needs more content. Something to keep people coming back. When was
the last time you looked at it? This is something that anyone can do
with a bit of spare time, even if its just reviewing that brilliant
website you used last night to find help, or that brilliant book on C++
you just read. We often get very good suggestions, but sometimes not
much action.

I get lots of "I would like to see this.." or "Why doesn't the group do
this?" I don't want to hear that, I want to hear "I would like to see
this, and this is how I can help you implement it..".  Of course, any
suggestion is a good suggestion, but it is much more helpful if you have
some sort of idea how it could be done.

I am but one person, the shape the group will take, will reflect on what
_you_ put into it.

The ball is quite literally, in your court...

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) ("Intended Recipient") to whom it is addressed. It may contain information, which is privileged and confidential. Accordingly any dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this message or any of its content by any person other than the Intended Recipient may constitute a breach of civil or criminal law and is strictly prohibited. If you are not the Intended Recipient, please contact the sender as soon as possible.

http://www.star.net.uk