RE [SLUG] Debian install - config X with Geforce 4

Chris Sutcliffe chris at chrissut.worldonline.co.uk
Thu Jan 9 11:33:01 GMT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gavin Baker" <za at supercowpowers.org>
To: "SLUG" <scarborough at mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Monday, December 30, 2002 1:49 AM
Subject: RE [SLUG] Debian install - config X with Geforce 4

> Hi Chris,
>
> If you don't have X running at all, you can
>
>   apt-get install discover read-edid mdetect
>
> ( discover   -> detects hardware )
> ( read-edid  -> talks to monitors to get information )
> ( mdetect    -> detects mice )
>
> If you have these installed, the debconf set up script will use them,
> and ask you far fewer questions.
>
> So just remove, and purge your X, and reinstall it. (dpkg-reconfigure
> won't use the newly installed apps)
>
>    dpkg --force-depends -P xserver-xfree86
>    apt-get install xserver-xfree86
>
> As you know, this will set up X to use the free "nv" driver, You will
> probably want to do as Jamie says to get the NVdriver working, but
> thats simple when X is already set up with "nv".

Thanks Gav,

I now have X working with the nv driver. It would n't start at first but I
changed the framebuffer value from true to false and X started up fine.

Now on to the next stage:
following Jamie's instructions I tried
'apt-get install kernel-package kernel-source-2.2.19 bin86 debianutils
libncurses5-dev libc-dev gcc make task-tcltk-dev'
but got the error "could n't find package kernel-source2.219"

I presume I'll have to add some more sources for apt to access...ftp, http,
I think its just looking to my cdrom at the mo.

I have managed to setup kppp after much fiddling. It was dropping the
connection each time I dialed. After reading the kppp faq, I added 'noauth'
to my pppd args in kppp setup and it now works :)

Chris