RE [SLUG] Debian install - config X with Geforce 4

Chris Sutcliffe chris at chrissut.worldonline.co.uk
Thu Jan 9 20:17:00 GMT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gavin Baker" <za at supercowpowers.org>
To: <scarborough at mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 2:36 PM
Subject: Re: RE [SLUG] Debian install - config X with Geforce 4

> On Thu, 9 Jan 2003 11:34:23 -0000
> "Chris Sutcliffe" <chris at chrissut.worldonline.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > > As you know, this will set up X to use the free "nv" driver, You
> > > will probably want to do as Jamie says to get the NVdriver working,
> > > but thats simple when X is already set up with "nv".
> > >
> > Thanks Gav,
> >
> > I now have X working with the nv driver. It would n't start at first
> > but I changed the framebuffer value from true to false and X started
> > up fine.
> >
> > Now on to the next stage:
> > following Jamie's instructions I tried
> > 'apt-get install kernel-package kernel-source-2.2.19 bin86 debianutils
> > libncurses5-dev libc-dev gcc make task-tcltk-dev'
> > but got the error "could n't find package kernel-source2.219"
>
> "apt-cache search kernel-source" will show what kernel-source packages
> you can apt-get. (on sid, 2.4.10...2.4.20 and some 2.2.x ones). I would
> suggest the latest 2.4.x for modern hardware.
>
> > I presume I'll have to add some more sources for apt to access...ftp,
> > http, I think its just looking to my cdrom at the mo.
>
> As Jamie mentioned, you can add sources manually from debian.org/mirrors,
> or just install netselect and run "netselect-apt woody" (or sarge). It
> will find the fastest mirrors and make a sources.list for you. (apt-get
> update; apt-get upgrade after)
>
> Later,
> Gav

Thanks for the info.

I was so chuffed that I'd got my son's machine (Geforce 2) working with X in
Dehian that I tried getting mine (Geforce 4) working with the same method
but to no avail. Still no usable screens...looks like I'm stuck without the
NVdriver. I'll have to get the driver from my son's machine when I have it.
That's if I can configure this gigabyte onboard LAN. There was some Linux
info with my motherboards CD Rom, so hopefully I can sort this.

thanks to everyone for your help

Chris