RE [SLUG] Debian install - config X with Geforce 4

Gavin Baker za at supercowpowers.org
Thu Jan 9 14:37:01 GMT 2003

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003 11:34:23 -0000
"Chris Sutcliffe" <chris at chrissut.worldonline.co.uk> wrote:

> > As you know, this will set up X to use the free "nv" driver, You
> > will probably want to do as Jamie says to get the NVdriver working,
> > but thats simple when X is already set up with "nv".
> >
> Thanks Gav,
>
> I now have X working with the nv driver. It would n't start at first
> but I changed the framebuffer value from true to false and X started
> up fine.
>
> Now on to the next stage:
> following Jamie's instructions I tried
> 'apt-get install kernel-package kernel-source-2.2.19 bin86 debianutils
> libncurses5-dev libc-dev gcc make task-tcltk-dev'
> but got the error "could n't find package kernel-source2.219"

"apt-cache search kernel-source" will show what kernel-source packages
you can apt-get. (on sid, 2.4.10...2.4.20 and some 2.2.x ones). I would
suggest the latest 2.4.x for modern hardware.

> I presume I'll have to add some more sources for apt to access...ftp,
> http, I think its just looking to my cdrom at the mo.

As Jamie mentioned, you can add sources manually from debian.org/mirrors,
or just install netselect and run "netselect-apt woody" (or sarge). It
will find the fastest mirrors and make a sources.list for you. (apt-get
update; apt-get upgrade after)

Later,
Gav