[SLUG] Domain Names

Mark Feather akwe-xavante at firenet.uk.com
Sat Jul 26 06:57:01 BST 2003

Hi

Re moving perl and Domain Names, thanks for your replies.

I have an account with sdf.lonestar.org at http://akwe.freeshell.org its not
Unix its BSD something or another.  I have a Domain name with UK2.com that
runs out soon, when it redirects all you get is your Meta tags!   If you try
to view the pages source code all you get is an empty page, blank
completely.   If your pages have SSI's or links to cgi scripts they don't
run, nothing happens!

I'm not sure what you mean by the Unix stuff, wouldn't you need a hosting
package to get all that stuff?

The Domain Name registering Companies that i've looked at so far are wanting
to push there own Web Hosting at really silly prices and even these seem to
have restrictions on use or you even have to pay even more for them to do
all the work for you, no thanks.  I have an account with sdf.lonestar.org at
http://akwe.freeshell.org its not Unix its BSD something or another, you
have access to just about everything most of the stuff i don't know.  It
costs $1 to create and £36 to get 300MB of space with a whole endless list
of stuff inc Perl, cgi, SSi's & more.  No real support as such though

Not sure what you mean about UNIX CGI stuff; the web redirect simply pushes
the user to another location or frames
it to make it look like they aren't.

I would agree with you, infact this is what i expected to happen and it
doesn't as explained above.

Would a symbolic link do the trick?

This one sounds great, a simple workaround thanks, when i'm ready i'll give
it a go and see what happens.

Mark