[SLUG] X

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Jul 29 19:20:00 BST 2003

Hi Mark,

Look in /var/log/XFree86.0.log to find out which XF86Config is being read.
On your system I made sure it was in the standard place for SuSE, that
being, /etc/X11.

Here is some other information that may help.

Type: lspci
Display details about devices on the PCI bus. I used this to confirm
the make/model/chipset of your video card.

Type: X -version
Display the current variant/version of the X server that you using.

File: /var/log/XFree86.0.log
A log file created by XFree86 as it starts up. Very useful
for trying to diagnose where things are going wrong.

File: /etc/X11/XF86Config OR /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
This is the usual configuration file that your X server will look at
to determine what mouse, keyboard, monitor and video card you have.
It also sets out the default colour depth/resolution and any
other colour depths and/or resolutions you may want to use. It
holds other things too like video card memory, timings and monitor
syncs etc as well as the graphics driver your are using.
XFree86 Version 4 will look for XF86Config-4 first followed
by XF86Config if XF86Config-4 does not exist.

Type: xf86config
A command line utility that allows you to create the XF86Config file.Briefly
some of the questions asked are as follows:-
Type of mouse and where its connected to (eg: serial port, aux port etc).
Type of keyboard and your country (for correct keymappings).
Type of monitor and its vertical and horizontal sync rates.
Type of video card and how much RAM it has etc.

Type: X
Starts the X server but no window manager.

Type: startx
Starts the X server along with your default chosen window manager.

Pressing: CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE simultaneously
Kill the X server and return to command line.