[SLUG] X

Mark Feather akwe-xavante at firenet.uk.com
Wed Jul 30 13:39:01 BST 2003

I now have Blackbox up and running OK on my old machine, i have installed a different pci card, i then ran sax2 and all went well.  I have resolved a few problems but i still have 2 problems i'm struggling with.

Problem 1:

When the system boots up i get the following display

You have passed an undefined mode number.

Press <RETURN> to see video modes available, <SPACE> to continue or wait 30 seconds

If i wait then the machine boots up OK, if i Press <RETURN> then i'm given a series of options:

video adapter Vesa Vga

Mode: ColsXRows

0f00    80X25

13 other options are displayed thro to

0133    132X44

Selecting any of the options appears to  select the size of the Font used through the booting process, the greater the number of columns and rows the smaller the text and therefore far more rows of text is displayed in a screen full.  I have to go through this stage every time i boot up.  How can i stop this?

Problem 2

If i run emacs in text mode everything works just fine, if i run emacs via X (Blackbox) then i get a white screen that is not inside a window and the text spills out beyond the size of the screen sometimes (usually an  empty screen even when i know it contains text).  If i run xemacs i get the same problem,   I can punch away at the keyboard and nothing displays on the screen, however when save it, it saves, when i close emacs it closes.  When i reopen the file in text mode all that i typed in has been saved to file!

Midnight commander opens in a window YESSSSSSSSS! I like MC and everything works just fine too.

Thoughts and ideas welcome.   Blackbox fits nicely on the screen and xterm works just fine.

How do i find out which config file is being read when X starts?   Sorry Paul you did so much at the last meeting for which i'm grateful but it was far too much for me to remember a lot of it.