[SLUG] dip

Al Girling al21 at firenet.uk.com
Tue Jun 17 11:55:01 BST 2003

Hi,

I finally managed to get a connection to the internet working something like this weekend.  I've been having to use;

$ sudo pon

and

$ sudo poff

to connect and disconnect, which I think you'll agree is crap having a connection made as root!

My user account had previously been added to the group 'dialout' but this appeared to make no difference.  This weekend it was suggested at the 'BLT' IRC meet that I add my user account to the group 'dip'.  I did this and logged on again and was able to use '$ pon' and '$ poff' to connect and disconnect.  Hurray!!

My question is what the hell is the group 'dip'?  No one was able to tell me at the IRC meet, they just knew it worked.  I hoped someone here might know.

Regards.