[SLUG] Software development in relation to the license

Ian Eade at IGM ieade at igmwebdesign.info
Wed Jun 25 10:21:02 BST 2003

For my masters dissertation I am evaluating software development and
licensing, specifically revolving around Open Source. As such I think a
discussion regarding these issues may prove to be enlightening. I have
copied a paragraph from the Abstract and the specific questions are
below.

Any thoughts, comments or whatever is greatly appreciated:

Ian

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Abstract:
Whilst metrics have been published which compare issues such as security
and performance there appears to be little consideration as to the
development of a given piece of software dependent upon the software
licensing model that it uses.

Therefore the following questions need to be addressed:
1.	Do the software licensing differences between closed source
software and open source software shape the development of the software?
2.	Can these differences, as brought about by the specific software
license used, be quantified and compared?
3.	Does employing a closed source or open source software license
lead to a better software end product?