[SLUG] Networking

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.fsnet.co.uk
Mon May 12 19:48:01 BST 2003

Hi Al,

>I received a reply from Phil after sending my message to the list
yesterday.  In his mail he says the file ifcfg-eth0 is
>in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/  But this files doesn't exist.  In fact
your /etc/sysconfig/scripts/ doesn't exist on my
>machine.  I did have limited success by creating the file
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 which contained:

I posted the last mail not having used Mandrake since 7.2 so I was going
from memory. I find is strange that your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/
directory does not exist. Perhaps they have moved and/or changed it in Mdk
9.0. Try looking in just /etc/sysconfig/ for a file containing the same
information (just a guess).

I find this unlikely (and again it's only a guess) but is there some part of
networking that's not installed?

> DEVICE="eth0"
> BOOTPROTO="static"
> IPADDR="192.168.0.1"
> NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
> NETWORK=192.168.0.0
> BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
> ONBOOT="yes"
>
>After rebooting I found the ethernet card had been auto detected and was
already UP.  I was unable to ping the
>second machine however.  From your mail I guess all the variable names
should be upper case.  Although what you
>see as my example is a copy of Phil's file with the 'IPADDR' line altered
to suit my system.

> So should this file contain a line like:
>
> SUBNETMASK="*"
>
> Details of what the subnetmask should be would be nice. :)

Again I was going from memory and looking at Phils file above it's actually
NETMASK (however the range of numbers is still called a subnet mask) and
this should be correct for your setup as it worked on Thursday. You will
find the same sequence of numbers in your Debian config file. Basically
forget SUBNETMASK as I remembered wrongly. Also use small letter as per
Phils file.

> I've tried using
>
> # ifup eth0
>
>  on several occasions but I only ever see a response from bash like:
>
> Usage: ifup <device name>
>
> As 'ifup' has no manpage or infopage and 'help ifup' has no content I'm
rapidly losing patience with Mdk 9.0.

I'm not really suprised at this. I seem to remember the last time I used
Mandrake ifup/ifdown were scripts written by Mandrake which, when called,
called a sequence of other commands (again if I remember rightly). Try
calling the scripts with /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup eth0 or cd'ing
to the scripts directory and typing ./ifup eth0.

>Running Linux has nothing to say.  Call me wierd but I'd have thought
networking two machines with a crossover
>cable would be most peoples first experience networking, yet it says
nothing!

> Not a happy bunny!
>
> Al

Sorry for any confusion caused.