[SLUG] NVidia kernel module

Gavin Baker gav at supercowpowers.org
Sun Nov 2 23:00:51 GMT 2003

On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 10:04:05PM -0000, Ian Eade @ IGM wrote:

> <BIG SNIP>

> Having found out that Debian would install on my XP box (Mandrake and Redhat
> don't like USB CD/DVD drives) I now have it set up,

I'm suprised Debian's installer worked where RH/MDK's failed. It usually does
0 automagical stuff.

> however the X server would not accept my nvidia card and continually
> crashed. After downloading 8MB of Linux nVidia driver stuff I got a problem
> installing them as the source header files version did not match the current
> kernel. To make things worse none of the source header files Debian has on
> the install DVD match the kernel.

Which kernel are you running? (uname -a)

> Opting to look for plan B (as opposed to downloading more files) I found a
> way of setting up a simple vga display with a vesa card and it worked, now
> when I look at my graphics set up its listed as nVidia with all the correct
> settings (?).  Just to rub salt in I looked in the Debian package manager
> and found a set of nVidia drivers etc, however everything works so I am not
> going to tempt fate by installing them. And despite opting for KDE as the
> display manager I got Gnome.

That sounds like X on VGA framebuffer, which nearly always works, but you
don't get any 2d/3d acceleration, or Xv etc. Have a look at the output from
glxinfo and xvinfo, and see how many fps you get from glxgears.

While not the clearest or thorough explanation,
http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/scarborough/2003-January/000399.html
might help.

> Aside from this "small" but show stopping problem I am wondering what has
> Debian got in its favour over other distro's aside from its open source
> ethical stance?
>
> I have used Mandrake for years and its easy enough to install, runs well and
> is easy to maintain, if all apps use the same kernel (or near enough) then
> aside from personal taste whats the difference?.  Debian is trickier to
> install, I ended up installing (accidental mouse click somewhere) 1.6GB of
> apps (?) and it looks like some time is going to be required to set
> everything up (server, database, programs etc). With Mandrake I had a running
> server/database/php/perl etc setup within an hour, I also got sound and the
> same (functionaly) package manager as Debian. Not much point in having a 5.1
> sound system when I have not got sound or a media player.

You must have selected one of the "Task" metapackages if you ended up with so
much stuff on install. Some people like to get almost everything installed at
once, rather than as and when they want the apps. This gives you a lot of
stuff you probably won't ever use. Luckily you can remove them later...

Setting up apache/an rdms/php/perl etc is pretty straightforward and generic
config instructions can be used. Any places where debians packages differ from
the generic, upstream packages will be explained on install (might have been
mailed to you) and in /usr/share/doc/<package>/README.Debian.

dpkg really is much "better" than rpm. apt-cache search <foo>, finds packages
with <foo> in them. apt-get install <foo>, grabs and installs foo, it also
handles dependencies correctly and other useful things.

What sound card is it? If its a SBLive 5.1 digital or similar (a card with an
emu10k1 chip), then "modprobe emu10k1" will get you sound. If it works, add
"emu10k1" to /etc/modules. Thats it. (oh, and add your regular user to the
audio group: adduser <foo> audio).

> Maybe after a while I'll find everything that Debian has to offer and forget
> about Mandrake, however its going to take some persuading (not to mention
> time and effort).

I think you will be convinced after a few days use. Thats why I haven't done
any debian advocacy in this thread ;), but a quick google for "Why Debian?"
will give many sites like http://www.infodrom.org/Debian/doc/advantages.html

> As for Linux heading for desktop status, some distro's have a long way to go
> before the average user will accept this sort of carry on.

Debian *can* be a fantastic desktop OS... and a server OS... and a backend
number cruncher OS. It targets none of these areas but allows the admin to
easily apply it to any specific purpose. I remember banners describing it as
the "Universal OS". I think this is true, and a very good thing(tm).

There are a few debian users on this list, so you can easily get help on the
Debianisms.

> Ps
> 1GB of RAM and an AMD 2600 chip makes Linux run quiet well
> I use XP as Baldur's Gate II will only run on windows, not that I am a
> zealot for anything :)

http://www.transgaming.com/gamepage.php?gameid=7
;)

Regards,
Gav

(PS, perhaps we should break this thread into 2.. or more ;)