[SLUG] Novell to buy SUSE

Jonathan Worthington jonathan at jwcs.net
Sun Nov 23 22:14:39 GMT 2003

> > I received this yesterday, thought you might like to see it.
> >
> > "Novell today announced it has entered into an agreement to acquire
> > SUSE LINUX, one of the world's leading enterprise Linux companies,
> > <snip>
>

> Don't know if this is good or bad news, i will have to seriously consider
> upgrading to SuSE 9.0 pro before Novell get there paws on it.    It's good
> news in so far as everywhere i've looked on the net of late for solving
> problems seems to suggest that SuSE is best Linux distro, and Novell seem
> agree too!
Interestingly, Novell were the ones who sold SCO some of the rights to UNIX
stuff, which SCO are claiming has found it's way into Linux (the kernel).
Darl McBride also used to work at Novell.

I think the Novell/SuSE thing will work out well, but I do fear some people
could get a little PO'd over KDE vs Gnome issues.  Novell also purchased
ximian, who make the ximian desktop - based on Gnome.  SuSE is very clearly
KDE oriented.  Of course, the ximian desktop isn't all ximian had to
offer...they're involved in other stuff; notably, the Mono project.  But
having one team of pro-Gnome people and one of pro-KDE people all working
for one organisation who'll surely want to pool their resources could have
interesting consequences.  (And good ones as well as bad - better Gnome/KDE
integration could certainly come of it).

Jonathan