[SLUG] Re: Novell to buy SUSE

djrogers at softhome.net djrogers at softhome.net
Tue Nov 25 12:19:06 GMT 2003

I've just head that IBM are looking to buy Novell, ahh trhe crazy world of
computing

Jonathan Worthington writes:

>> > I received this yesterday, thought you might like to see it.
>> >
>> > "Novell today announced it has entered into an agreement to acquire
>> > SUSE LINUX, one of the world's leading enterprise Linux companies,
>> > <snip>
>>

>> Don't know if this is good or bad news, i will have to seriously consider
>> upgrading to SuSE 9.0 pro before Novell get there paws on it.    It's good
>> news in so far as everywhere i've looked on the net of late for solving
>> problems seems to suggest that SuSE is best Linux distro, and Novell seem
>> agree too!
> Interestingly, Novell were the ones who sold SCO some of the rights to UNIX
> stuff, which SCO are claiming has found it's way into Linux (the kernel).
> Darl McBride also used to work at Novell.
>
> I think the Novell/SuSE thing will work out well, but I do fear some people
> could get a little PO'd over KDE vs Gnome issues.  Novell also purchased
> ximian, who make the ximian desktop - based on Gnome.  SuSE is very clearly
> KDE oriented.  Of course, the ximian desktop isn't all ximian had to
> offer...they're involved in other stuff; notably, the Mono project.  But
> having one team of pro-Gnome people and one of pro-KDE people all working
> for one organisation who'll surely want to pool their resources could have
> interesting consequences.  (And good ones as well as bad - better Gnome/KDE
> integration could certainly come of it).
>
> Jonathan

Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels
start closing in, the only cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and
then drive like a bastard from Hollywood to Las Vegas ... with the
music at top volume and at least a pint of ether.
 -- H.S. Thompson, "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"