[SLUG] Run remote Windows applications over network.

Jamie Adams adamsj at sdf-eu.org
Tue Nov 25 12:20:59 GMT 2003

Sorry, I know this isn't the Windows User Group, my question does involve
Linux.

Under SSH on my ibook, I can run remote X applications from my main x86 desktop.
The programs run just as they would if I were running them locally, except that
they use the remote machines resources instead of the ibook's. I use this for
things like OpenOffice and Mozilla which take a long time to load in the ibook
but instantly on the desktop. I guess that this is similiar to a thin client
setup.

This is great for Linux to Linux, but is no good for MacOS to Linux, or Linux
to Windows. I would like to be able to use a particular Windows application,
but under Linux. I have downloaded and installed VNC, which is excellent, but
only gives me access to the whole desktop. That's okay if no one is using the
desktop, but if Karen is playing a game I cant use VNC.

Does this make sense at all? Anyone tried anything similar?

Jamie

        adamsj at sdf-eu.org
  SDF-EU Public Access UNIX System
ICQ: 140365501 | Linux User: #314423