[SLUG] Run remote Windows applications over network.

Gavin Baker gav at supercowpowers.org
Tue Nov 25 15:04:44 GMT 2003

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 12:20:49PM +0000, Jamie Adams wrote:
> Under SSH on my ibook, I can run remote X applications from my main x86
> desktop.
><snip>
> This is great for Linux to Linux, but is no good for MacOS to Linux, or
> Linux to Windows. I would like to be able to use a particular Windows
> application, but under Linux. I have downloaded and installed VNC, which is
> excellent, but only gives me access to the whole desktop. That's okay if no
> one is using the desktop, but if Karen is playing a game I cant use VNC.

X based apps are network aware. Windows and MacOS apps aren't.

You can run an X server on windows or mac and pass either the -display option
to the X based app, or set $DISPLAY to point to your win/mac X server. If you
run a root-less X server (there are free and commercial ones for windows and
mac os), the apps can just open a window on the remote win/mac desktop as
native apps do.

This is a great thing(tm). There is no way to do this on Mac or Windows.
Neither of their graphical environments are network aware (Is Windows even
network aware?).

So, other than using VNC or Windows Terminal Server and rdesktop, I would
guess no, there is no other way.

If you were using an x86 box, I would suggest vmware/win4lin or wine... but
your not...so I wont. ;)

Which app is it from Windows that you can't live without? ;)

Gav