[SLUG] .htaccess files

Gavin Baker gav at supercowpowers.org
Mon Sep 1 19:07:00 BST 2003

On Sat, 2003-08-30 at 00:34, Mark Feather wrote:

> On the Linux box everything works perfectly, the servers root html directory
> can be found at http://localhost/ and all htaccess files and scripts work
> and from the correct cgi-bin.   The virtual hosts root can be found at
> http://akwe.freeshell.org/ and all htaccess files and scripts work and from
> the correct cgi-bin.
>
> On the Windows box things are slightly different......When i punch in
> http://192.168.0.95/ i get the virtual hosts html files and all its htaccess
> files and scripts work correctly and from the correct cgi-bin.   If i punch
> in http://akwe.freeshell.org/ i get a STD IE error message "page cannot be
> displayed".   I can no longer get the servers root html directly at all.

Linux thinks akwe.freeshell.org is at 192.168.0.95 (/etc/hosts). Windows
will resolve that hostname (via a DNS server) to it's real IP address
(192.94.73.2) and try to connect to that instead.

Apparently some versions of windows have a static hosts file, the same
as unix's /etc/hosts. Have a look for
	c:\windows\hosts or
	c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts or
	c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
depending on which windows you use.

You can probably just add
	192.168.0.95    akwe.freeshell.org
to that file to solve this.

ps, if you do this, you won't be able to connect to the real
akwe.freeshell.org without removing the line.

Good luck,
Gav

(PS, sorry for long delay)

--