[SLUG] .htaccess files

Mark Feather akwe-xavante at firenet.uk.com
Mon Sep 1 21:12:01 BST 2003

Hi Gav,

Thank's for all your help,

>Linux thinks akwe.freeshell.org is at 192.168.0.95 (/etc/hosts). Windows
>will resolve that hostname (via a DNS server) to it's real IP address
>(192.94.73.2) and try to connect to that instead.

I need to set up my DNS Server i reckon, i will look into how to do this
over the next few days.

>Apparently some versions of windows have a static hosts file, the same
>as unix's /etc/hosts.   You can probably just add:

>192.168.0.95    akwe.freeshell.org

>to that file to solve this, if you do this, you won't be able to connect to
the real
>akwe.freeshell.org without removing the line.

On Win98SE its: C:\WINDOWS\hosts.sam

I don't want to do this as i now have several vhosts one for each project
i'm working on, and they all resolve themselves correctly on the Linux
machine.  To do this would mean that i could only have one vhost and no
others.   The Linux and the Windows machine cannot connect to the net at all
so there's no worries.

Mark