[SLUG] disk partitioning

Colm colm at madcatsolutions.com
Fri Apr 9 23:54:32 BST 2004

Thanks Gavin and Carl.

The Mac disk (hda) is 20 Gb, and is partitioned into 2 x 10Gb. (On one
partition are the System and apps, and on the other are my documents).
The Linux disk (hdc) is 20 Gb (unpartitioned).

Where hdb is, is a complete mystery!!!

Further news:

I tried setting up the partitions on the Linux disk using Apple's 'Drive
Setup', which purports to be able to set up Linux, Unix and Pro-DOS
partitions. But it didn't seem to work.

After setting up the partitions as in the guide, I was told there wasn't
enough room for the installation (I was installing 'everything')!!!

A friend suggested I set up a 'swap' partition of 320 Mb (the size of
the RAM), and a '/' partition for all the rest of the disk (no '/boot'
partition). I did this, and all proceeded swimmingly until it got a way
through the third disk. Then it stopped. Looking at one of the other
consoles told me that there were serious IO errors. This was after about
3 hours, including checking for bad blocks.

I aborted the install, and looked at the CD. There was a dirty great
thumbprint on it!

So I cleaned it and started again, only not checking for bad blocks this
time.

It installed 233 packages, and then had a kernel panic and rebooted
itself, only this time it went straight into the Mac OS without asking.
So I've left it there for now. I feel safe here!!

I'll try again tomorrow.

Colm