[SLUG] Software Freedom Day revisited

Gavin Baker gav at supercowpowers.org
Wed Apr 14 23:16:21 BST 2004

Hello out there,

Not long ago, it was suggested[1] that we could do something for
Software Freedom Day[2] which is on August 28th. It was to be discussed
at the last meeting. Alas, the timing for the last meeting meant some
people couldn't make it, so the topic was put on hold.

Since then, some of us have had a chance to chat informally over the
idea, and from this discussion a few ideas have appeared.

The basic idea behind the Software Freedom Day is this:
" The Software Freedom Day initiative intends to make the world aware of
the existence, availability, and high quality of Free and Open Source
Software (FOSS), and to encourage its use by as many people as possible."

We can help their initiative by becoming a volunteer team[3].  This
would be a good, worthwhile effort for us to get involved in the
promotion of free software, and by implication, the promotion of Linux.
It would also provide the SLUG with a great advertising opportunity.

The idea of producing our own windows CD's full of the best free
software, and distributing them in the Scarborough area was also discussed.

The CD could contain things like the Mozillas and Openoffice.org etc.
The cover would include a link to our website and the fact that we
produced them. They could be payed for by any company who wants their
name and url advertising on something that won't just be thrown away
like a leaflet would be. They could be distributed in numerous ways.

Comments? Suggestions? Ideas? More info?

Gav

1 - http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/scarborough/2004-March/001191.html
2 - http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/
3 -