[SLUG] Software Freedom Day revisited

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Apr 18 11:54:41 BST 2004

On Saturday 17 Apr 2004 23:11, Jamie wrote:
> > Gavin Baker wrote:
> > We can help their initiative by becoming a volunteer team[3].
> > SNIP
>
> Agreed. I think it's an excellent idea.

I would be willing to help in what ever way possible. Lets get organised on
this one early and properly discuss it at the next LUG meeting. Lets try and
a find a meeting date where all interested can attend. How's that sound?

> > The idea of producing our own windows CD's full of the best free
> > software, and distributing them in the Scarborough area was also
> > discussed.
>
> It doesn't neccesarly need to cost much to produce.

There are several LUG members that have an ADSL connection now and it should
be no problem obtaining and compiling a CD full of free software. I would be
willing to help here.

More importantly it needs a good destruction manual of what the disk contains
and how to install it otherwise if people who obtain the disk then can't
install it we may be doing the OSS projects no favours. We could even go one
better and write our own front-end installer that auto runs as soon as CD is
placed in CD drive. I would be willing to help here on both documentation and
the front-end (being a Windows software developer by day and all that)

CD-Rs themselves are not much money at all so as Jamie says it shouldn't cost
much at all, peoples time being the main requirement here.

> > Comments? Suggestions? Ideas? More info?
>
> It's only four months away, which doesn't give us a lot of time. What
> about an install day as well? I'm interested to help out in anyway that
> I can.

I'd be interested to know where we are going to do this. If it's indoors then
I would be happy to bring a Linux system along to make people aware there is
a whole 'free' operating system available; give them some demos and what not
if required.

Once people are aware of Linux this should lead nicely to a SLUG install day
don't you think?

If we get organised early I would also be willing to put posters up in
Pickering. My Mrs works in a shop and they would let us have a poster up for
free I'm sure. I, as in my Mrs ;) would be willing to approach other shops
too and get a poster displayed; she doesn't know it yet however, lol.

This is only Pickering however. We need to target Malton, Kirkby, Helmsley,
outlying villages and most importantly Scarbrough itself as that's probably
where most of the people will come from realisticly.

I'm am being to cheeky in saying 'Let's get going on this one; get a meeting
organised to start the ball rolling'.

Regards,

Paul.