[SLUG] Re: Scarborough Digest, Vol 28, Issue 1

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Apr 19 19:05:00 BST 2004

On Monday 19 Apr 2004 18:41, mhc at freeuk.com wrote:
> Thanks Paul and Jamie.
>
> SNIP
>
> As i said first I don't know much about networking, do I even need a
> dedicated server to deal with such a small system? I may just not be
> looking in the right place when i search so please feel free to say
> RTFM at some website. (a URL would be nice though!)

So how far have you got? Or it it a case of don't know where to start?
If you give us more details of what you have done (or not) so far we can give
more advice. Getting basic networking running is your first step.

Don't get hung up too much on the distro; Mandrake will be fine for your
purposes. Just too much of my personal preferences getting in the way there.

If you want Internet links to Linux networking documents try:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/howtos.html

and start with the NET-howto. This document is quite tuff going but I guess
you would expect that for a fairly large (and sometimes fairly complicated)
topic.

I never use RTFM - it's the best way to newbies off Linux (followed by
Scarborough Digest, Vol 28, Issue 1 ;)

Regards

Paul.