[SLUG] Problems with sendmail and authorization

Kelly Mandrake atapi103 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 20 09:33:12 BST 2004

I have a default install of sendmail and later installed imap via rpm, but
how does sendmail authenticate its users.

I can send mail via localhost no problem, However from outside localhost
there seems no way to authenticate myself useing either POP before SMTP or
SMTP AUTH via mail client.

Somehow the default install of sendmail must have some way of
authenticateing users.  My pop server apears to be the ipop3 daemon started
by inetd?

The POP login is not complaining, I must be getting through, its only the
error about relay denyed displayed by the email client.  So the SMTP
authentication apears not to be functioning.