[SLUG] Problems with sendmail and authorization

jamie jamie at leafy.org.uk
Tue Apr 20 12:02:51 BST 2004

>  I can send mail via localhost no problem, However from outside localhost
>  there seems no way to authenticate myself useing either POP before SMTP or
>  SMTP AUTH via mail client.

I think that sendmail is set with relaying  denied to all except localhost by default. If you are trying to send from a machine on your lan, try adding the machines details to /etc/mail/access.

The default access file should look something like this:

localhost.localdomain           RELAY
localhost                               RELAY
127.0.0.1                             RELAY

Which allows sending mail only from those addresses.

You will need to add something like this for each of the machines that you want to send mail from:

192.168.1.137	RELAY

Hope this helps.

Jamie

Linux User: #314423  |  ICQ: 140365501